Friday, October 31, 2008
So, for your entertainment, I've posted pictures below of our costume construction for this year. Yep, we are going as Sushi and Soy Sauce. So come on Carliles!! Let's see whatcha got!!!
Look to the far left. You can see some weirdo's head inside the Sushi Roll. That's Barnes humor for ya...
So there you go. Part one of our epic Halloween saga. And it only took us until 1am last night to pull it off. Plus two trips to Wal-Mart... And no more black duct tape in ALL of Raleigh... I'll let you know how it all goes down...
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
A certain part of the fair is bittersweet for me- I once had aspirations of growing the state's largest pumpkin, and blowing those other guys out of the water! I could even imagine the headline: "Novice pumpkin grower sweeps record, angers and baffles longtime growers!"
Problem is, I tried to grow my pumpkin in the middle of the hottest summer on record, and I also abandoned it for a week when I went to Alaska. These anomalies (plus a dog that treated the vine like his own personal playground) didn't lend to any easy pumpkin growing experience. Needless to say, I had 200 feet of beautiful vine, and no pumpkin. It just wasn't meant to be. So, for your viewing pleasure, I have below a picture of me with this year's winning pumpkin (in the back at 612 lbs):
Yeah, I know what you're thinking. It's not THAT big. So let's put it in perspective- the next photo is the WORLD RECORD holding pumpkin (1689lbs!), grown in 2007 in Rhode Island:
So what do you do with a world record holding pumpkin after the fair? Yep, that's right. World Record pumpkin pie! 2020 pounds of it!!! Just kidding, it's not the same pumpkin. That wouldn't be a very dignified end befitting a world champion. But it's still funny....
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Thanks to my sister Catherine, my employer has lost about 20 minutes of productivity from me today!! But that's ok, you guys were all dying to know:
10 years ago I...
1. Was just getting ready to move to NC from Albuquerque, NM
2. Would fly somewhere on a moment's notice, just to have fun with my friends. Or go to a Rush concert!
3. Was a good solid size 6 (or less). I've expanded inexplicably since then.
4. Only had one nephew. Now I've got 15 nieces and nephews!
5. Was a redhead. Like the Julianne Moore or Marcia Cross kind of redhead...
5 Things I'm really into right now:
1. Twilight Series- and looking forward to the movie next month
2. Music as always, currently in a rut of listening to Muse, Paramore, Porcupine Tree, Angels and Airwaves, and the new Coldplay. And Rush, of course. That's just a given.
3. Going to the gym every day after work.
4. Trying to get ready to run some sort of 5k. Haven't decided which one. Any recommendations?
5. Trying to be a good YW President, and not destroy the program in the process. Working with these girls is sort of like herding cats.
5 Things I would do if I were a millionaire...
1. TRAVEL. Nonstop. Everywhere. And Daron and I would fly first class.
2. Pay off mine and my family's assorted debts. And totally pull an Oprah and buy everyone a new car. And buy Daron a really big, fat, brand new truck.
3. Go back to school, and study something frivolous and fun. Like Art History. (Apologies to all the Art History grads out there...)
4. Adopt 3 or 4 kids. I can't wait to be a mom.
5. Buy books and CD's. Thousands of them. Or maybe I would just buy a Barnes and Noble?
5 places I have lived...
1.) Moab, UT
2.) Mountain Home, ID
3.) Las Cruces, NM
4.) Albuquerque, NM
5.) Raleigh, NC
5 jobs I have had...
1.) Mainframe Operator, NMSU Computer Center
2.) Insurance Sales, Cigna Healthcare
3.) Software Trainer, MDWIN Corp.
4.) Business Manager, Carolina Women's Health
5.) Wow, Seriously? Only four jobs since 1991? That's got to be a record.
I tag...Rebecca. Because seriously, I've looked at all my friends pages, and they have already answered this silly thing.
Rules: Each player answers the question themselves. At the end of the post the player then tags 5 people and posts their names, then goes to their blog and leaves them a comment letting them know that they've been tagged and asking them to read your blog. Let the person that tagged you know when you've answered the questions on your blog.